Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Sticks, Clouds, and a Power Outage

Wednesday, August 11, 2010. I drove around the north end of Sauk Lake on Monday, to see if there'd been much damage from Saturday evening's storm. All I found were some sticks in the road leading to Diamond Point (among other things): and those could have been dropped from a truck carrying debris from somebody's pruning job.


Looks like there wasn't too much damage from Saturday's storm. Those sticks in the road might even be from a pruning job, not downed branches. August 9, 2010.

Then, Tuesday morning, while thunder and lightning were putting on a show, the lights went out in my house. A little later, I went out to see what was happening. The traffic lights at the corner of South Ash Street and 12th were working - but downtown was dark, along with the north side along Main, as far as the convenience store, at least.


Folks were paying attention to that temporary stop sign at Sinclair Lewis Avenue and Main. August 10, 2010.


A repair crew on South 2nd, near Main. August 10, 2010.


Lights were out on the north side: Oh, right: and the old Citgo is now a Tesoro station. August 10, 2010.

About the convenience store: It's a Tesoro station now. I don't know what that change took place.

Driving back across the river, I decided to take a photo of the fountain - or, rather, of the statues. The water wasn't running, with no power for the pumps.

So, I swing into the parking lot by the band shell, get the camera lined up, start squeezing the shutter - and the water comes back on.


Power's back on, just before 10:30 a.m. by my clock. August 10, 2010.

By my camera's clock, that photo was taken at 10:29 a.m.

The traffic lights were working, too: and power was on at my place by the time I drove up the driveway.


The traffic light's working, so folks aren't guided by the stop sign now. August 10, 2010.

I've got some more photos, but that'll wait until Sunday. I hope that we won't have any more severe storms before then.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!