Sunday, September 5, 2010

Labor Day Traffic, New Construction and a Fire Next Door

Sunday, September 5, 2010. Labor Day weekend is about half over now. I experienced a little of the early Labor Day traffic on Friday: more about that later.

The old joke about Minnesota's four seasons - fall, winter, spring, and road work - applies to streets, too. Given a choice, the only time you'd want to try digging up a street around here is when water isn't frozen, about to be frozen, or melting. I don't know what was going on, a block east of Marc'ette Place flower shop, on South Pine last Thursday: aside from the obvious. A crew was digging out the top few yards of pavement and soil.


Street work. September 2, 2010.

Foundations for whatever's being built on South 12th, south of Ace Hardware, are taking shape. I doubt they'll be done with construction before winter: but I've been wrong before.


New construction on the south side: 12th and Fairland Drive. September 3, 2010.

I spent Friday morning and the first part of the afternoon in St. Cloud. My guess is that on the way back I was sharing the Interstate with folks getting an early start on Labor Day weekend. They were sensible drivers for the most part: but I'll gladly stay off the roads this weekend.

The few who want to drive above the speed limit, don't realize that slower traffic goes in the right lane, or otherwise depart from the path of wisdom, make driving in moderately heavy traffic a trifle more exciting than I like.

On my way home, turning north on Ash, I saw flashing lights ahead. As I got to the Fairground's main entrance, I could see at least one fire truck near South 9th and Ash. Getting closer, it looked like most of the Sauk Centre Police and Fire departments were parked outside my place.

That isn't the most calming sight.


Fire trucks, police cars: It could have been worse. September 3, 2010.

Still closer, and I could see that whatever was going on was - apparently - on the north side of my house. Turns out, that yard was being used as a sort of utility area by the fire crew.

Our neighbors across the street north did not have a good day on Friday. I haven't learned just what happened, aside from a fire somewhere inside. Nobody was hurt, as far as I know: but whatever it was had at least two trucks from the fire department out here.


The fire crew was wrapping things up by the time I got home. September 3, 2010.


He's not trying to strangle the fire hose. They're getting water out before going back to the station. September 3, 2010.


Putting out a fire: there's a lot of people and equipment involved. September 3, 2010.

Aside from that, it's been a fairly quiet weekend here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!