Friday, February 19, 2010

Level 3 Predatory Offender Coming: Photos and Links

Our photos on driver's licenses and passports are notoriously unflattering. My guess is that the same can be said for 'mug shots.'

But, in my case at least, the photo on the drivers' license looked like me: not as friendly as I occasionally seem to be, but recognizable. And that's the point of those things.

The same goes for the photographs taken of people incarcerated by the state of Minnesota.

Which brings me to Dustin Gene Ayres. He's a Level 3 predatory offender, due to be released February 22, 2010: next Monday. If everything goes as planned, he'll be Sauk Centre's newest resident.

That's him, in photos provided by an Offender Information page of the Minnesota Department of Corrections' website.

Mr. Ayres will be on "Supervised Release" - which would be more reassuring, if he hadn't gotten in trouble before, for violating the conditions of his parole.

I don't envy Mr. Ayres, at all. Thanks to his behavior, he's lost out on quite a bit of what a 50th percentile young man would have experienced in his twenties. And, if I'm reading the MN DOC page correctly, will be on a short leash for another 10 years.

On the whole, I like publicity, but I certainly wouldn't want the sort that Mr. Ayres has earned: "Level 3 Predatory Offender Information | DUSTIN GENE AYRES."

I've written before, that I think second chances (third, in Mr. Ayres' case) are a good idea. I also think it's a good idea to think about the safety of people who don't assault other people. Which is why I'm focusing on Sauk Centre's new citizen.

It's important to remember that he has 'paid his dept to society,' as far as the judicial system is concerned. I hope that Mr. Ayres isn't abused by his new neighbors - and that he doesn't abuse us.

Finally, I'm glad that America is getting over one of the sillier eras in its history, and has started showing concern for the victims of crimes, as well as for those who are accused and convicted. Both sorts of concern are, I think, very important.

Related posts:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!