Sunday, February 14, 2010

St. Valentine's Day, 2010: Balloons and Burning Palm Branches

Sunday, February 14, 2010. St. Valentine's Day.


I thought Cupid could use an equipment upgrade.

It's Valentine's Day: a Saint's feast day, and an occasion for putting a whole lot of red and pink merchandise in the stores. I don't mind a bit: this time of year, we can use a bit of bright color. Or, in this case, a whole lot of bright shiny color:


Lots and lots of heart-shaped balloons in Coborn's. February 11, 2010.

My oldest daughter changed her travel plans Saturday morning: freezing fog in the wee hours of the morning put beautiful frost on the trees, and made traction on the roads dubious. She and I went to see "Avatar" at Main Street Theatre this afternoon: maybe not as much fun as what she had planned, but I enjoyed having some "quality time" with her. Interesting: it's been a long time since I've heard that phrase.


What's left of the house that burned on South Birch. February 10, 2010.

This is the Sunday before Ash Wednesday, so that chest of palm leaves from last Easter season was carried out of the sanctuary after Mass at Our Lady of the Angels. The dry leaves went into a sort of cage, and were burned. We'll get the ashes on our foreheads on Ash Wednesday.


Last year's palm branches, before Mass at Our Lady of the Angels. February 14, 2010.


Those dry leaves burn fast. By the time I got there with a camera, it was over, except for a bit of cleanup. February 14, 2010.

My new son-in-law is from Louisiana, so I'm learning a bit more about the culture in that part of the south. And, I think he may be in for quite a surprise this Tuesday - if he hasn't already figured it out. Up here in the northern tier of states, we don't make much of a big deal out of Mardi Gras. Apart from things like a fundraiser at Holy Family School.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!