Sunday, February 13, 2011

Lovely Spring-Like Weather, and an Explosion on a Pig Farm

Sunday, February 13, 2011. It's been a beautiful weekend: apart from
an energetic wind that's whooshing by at intervals. There's a wind advisory out, according to wunderground.com: we're supposed to have winds "sustained between 25 and 35 mph with gusts around 50 mph" until about six in the morning.

It felt like spring when I was at Mass this morning. Above freezing by several degrees, and it's mid-February.

I've had the flu - or something very much like that. Whatever it is, it seems to be popular. The nursing home, I hear, is asking folks to stay away: and if they come, to be really careful.

It's like the fellow said: 'I only know what's in the papers.' Specifically, the Sauk Centre Herald. Hog farming is an important part of the economy around here - like the farms Paul Fiedler owns.

The good news is that it doesn't look like anybody got hurt.

The bad news is that one of Mr. Fiedler's maintenance buildings exploded - some pieces hit a quarter mile away. Between that, and the fire that came after, around 4,800 hogs had to be moved in a hurry.

One more thing: Tomorrow's Valentine's Day. I got something for my wife: but don't be too impressed. One of my daughters picked it out for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!