Thursday, January 14, 2010

Mostly About Snowmen

Wednesday, January 13, 2010. I don't generally come back to the same subject, after just one week. But these snowmen deserved a second look. You may remember them: They're the snowman family I showed back on January 6th. My wife saw them yesterday, and told me that one of them had week whackers for arms.


That's a new one to me: weed whackers for arms. January 12, 2010.

Quite a few folks have been making snowmen, making good use of that heavy snowfall.


I'm not sure if it's a sort of cenotaph, or maybe a snowman playing William Tell's son. January 12, 2010.


Faceoff of the snowmen. January 12, 2010.


The snowman on the left had corncob eyes. January 12, 2010.

I've said this before: Minnesota's weather isn't boring.


Picture-postcard weather yesterday, making a lovely scene of the bandshell and parking lot down by Sauk Lake. January 12, 2010.


Today, it was fog in the morning and overcast the rest of the day. January 13, 2010.


The fog left a delicate frost. January 13, 2010.

It's been quite a long time since there was a Snyder Drug downtown. Or a Ben Franklin store, for that matter. "Small town America" may be a changeless Brigadoon in some stories" but I've been over that before. I ran into "Snyder Drug" again today, in the news.

Like the fellow said: "Nothing endures but change." "Walgreen buys Minnesota's Snyder's Drug Stores," Reuters (January 13, 2010). I found out that there were 25 Snyder's in Minnesota. Looks like Walgreen will keep some of the stores they acquired open - and plan to keep the folks who worked at Snyder's working there. Smart - and good news for those people.

For what it's worth, back in the eighties I'd hear Snyder's downtown called "Schneider's" - not in writing, but that's the way it was pronounced by some folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!