Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A Sunset, a Metal Flower, Lemonade, and a Chance to Help a Neighbor

Wednesday, April 7, 2010. That's yesterday's sunset. One of the advantages to losing the trees in our front yard is that we have a much better view of the sky. That, and the comforting knowledge that they won't fall on somebody. Those trick trees were surprises. (June 15, 2008, June 13, 2008 in Through One Dad's Eye)


This sunset covered the sky at one point. April 6, 2010.

I see in the paper that Congressman Colin Peterson says he'll support the Valley Forge Village on the Home School site. I've written about that before. And was pretty intense about it. I wrote an explanation of my views in the Sauk Centre Journal Blog. (April 7, 2010)


I think even I could take adequate care of that flower. April 7, 2010.

Meanwhile, Freeport is building a new water tower. The one with the smiley face will soon be history. I read in this week's Sauk Centre Herald that there's a discussion happening about whether the new tower should have another smiley face.

I hope they keep that tradition. I know it isn't the drearily somber sort of thing that terminally serious citizens think is properly dull and conventional for civic projects. But that cheery smile has been a familiar part of that part of the Interstate for decades.

Plus, it's a big part of the reason why I got off at that exit one time, and took a look around Freeport's downtown. My guess is that I'm not the only one who's done that - for the same reason.

But, it's their town. I hope they keep 'smiley,' though.


Sign of the season to come: lemonade. April 7, 2010.

I had a cup - two, actually - of coffee at Jitters Java this afternoon. Sauk Centre has two specialty coffee shops - the other one is a charming place farther south on Main, Main Street Coffee Company. It's a fine place, too: but I like the 'retro metro' look of Jitters.

The point I was wandering toward was that I saw a collection can near the door of Jitters Java. Chris Norgren (Class of 1975) had a serious accident - and besides medical expenses, he's got modifications that need to be made to his home. The Herald had an article about him last November.

Money isn't everything: but it sure is important when you don't have quite enough to cover necessary expenses. This isn't exactly 'passing the hat' - but it's the same idea. I hope folks pitch in. And I'm pretty sure we will.


Hard to miss: I hope. April 7, 2010.

There was a "secret" benefit for Chris Norgren March 20. Some 'surprise' - the announcement was online. I think the folks were having fun with that: good idea, I'd say. The benefit apparently was March 20, 2010 at the Mora Events Center in Mora, MN.

I'm going into this much detail, because I think Mr. Norgren can use the help. Being paralyzed from the neck down is no fun - and wondering where the money for a house refit, wheelchair, and all the rest will come from doesn't help.

Chris Norgren and his son Pete were working on a deer stand when he fell - there's more detail on that can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!