Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Sauk Centre Storm July 10: No Power, No Internet, No Injuries

Tuesday, July 12, 2011. A bit after 8:00 p.m., Sunday evening, the lights went out at my house, here in Sauk Centre. That would have been about 8:15 p.m., according to a KARE article. Power was back about 5:20 p.m. - more or less - so we were without power for only about 21 hours.

Folks east of Ash Street had power restored many hours earlier - which is just as well, since that's where Coborn's is. I was there, buying 40 pounds of ice, yesterday - and my wife was back for more, later in the day. Refrigerators and freezers have good insulation these days - but not that good.

Storm, straight line winds rip Sauk Centre (KARE)

Warning Sirens Silenced by Storm in Sauk Centre (KSTP)

A KSTP Television truck was in Sauk Centre yesterday afternoon. KARE may have had a team here, too - they've got two pretty good photos.

So do I, but they were in my camera until power was back, Sunday night: and I had some catching up to do, from those 21 power-free hours.

I'd have written something about this, and gotten it online, yesterday evening - but this house didn't get a data connection (telephone, television and Internet) until somewhere between 10:00 and 10:30 p.m. last night: at which point my #2 daughter and son-in-law phoned in, and I did catching up with him until my brain turned to tapioca. At which point I got some needed sleep.

Sauk Centre's missing hundreds of trees, and there's a fair amount of property damage - but as far as I've heard and read there were zero injuries and zero deaths. That's incredibly good news, considering how many trees came down on houses or vehicles.

Those photos I took? I've got them in my computer now - but each takes a little fixing before it's ready to put online, so it'll be later today - at the earliest - before I get those out. I've got a little video, too - but that'll have to wait, too.

Sorry about the delay, getting this written - but things have been a little, ah, interesting here.

Still, as we say in Minnesota: It could be worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!