Sunday, July 4, 2010

Fireworks, Families, Flags, and the Fourth of July

Sunday, July 4, 2010. Independence Day. That 'cheesy' sculpture wasn't in Sauk Centre. The carved block of Wisconsin cheese was on display in New York City two years ago.


(from Oddly Enough / photo by Lucas Jackson, Reuters, used w/o permission)
The cheese went back to Wisconsin food pantries. July, 2008

The last whizzing, banging, popping and whooshing fireworks are, I hope, fading away as I write this. I don't mind folks celebrating - but I also need sleep.


Folks with this fireworks tent were waving and showing a sign to drivers this afternoon. July 1, 2010.

I suppose the flags downtown will go back into storage now that the Fourth is over. They put on quite a show this year, thanks to the wind.


Flags and wind downtown. Both in large quantities. July 2, 2010.


There aren't all that many bicycles on Main Street. July 2, 2010.

The Sinclair Lewis campground was full - or nearly so - today. This afternoon, at the south end of Sauk Lake, folks were sitting in the shade, on the lake, and at the playground with their kids.


Overcast - and enough wind to discourage mosquitoes. July 4, 2010.


Let's take a closer look. Yep, they're fishing. July 4, 2010.

Red-white-and-blue banners were up in Our Lady of the Angels church this morning.


Our Lady of the Angels church. July 4, 2010.

Which reminds me: L. N. Kaas, on south Main, is repairing violins now. He's built one, too: but I haven't found out if he's selling it or not. Which is an odd gap in my knowledge, considering that he's my father-in-law.


Clock repair - and now violins. That sign on his van reminded me, this morning. July 4, 2010.

There's more - there's always more - but that'll wait until Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!