Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Tornado Warning and Sinclair Lewis Days

Wednesday, July 14, 2010. I looked out a west window around 2:00, and saw gray sky. Which was odd, since the trees were in sunlight. Stepping a little closer, I got a look at a somewhat spectacular thunderhead. A little later an Alexandria radio station told of a tornado warning - based on a sighting near Glenwood.

Right around 3:00 p.m. the sirens went off and my wife, kids, and I headed for the basement. I'd gotten some photos by then. After a while the sirens stopped.

The rest of the afternoon was a bit of an anticlimax: but I don't mind one bit. Tornadoes, up close and personal, can be unpleasant.

Here are those photos:


Here it comes: The storm was maybe 20 miles away at this point. July 14, 2010, a bit after 2:00 p.m.


I know these storms are dangerous. There's a beauty to them, too. July 14, 2010, a bit after 2:00 p.m.


Same set of clouds, looking north this time. July 14, 2010, a bit after 2:00 p.m.


Yep. No question about it. There's a storm headed this way. July 14, 2010, a bit after 2:00 p.m.


And there it goes. July 14, 2010, around 3:15 or 3:30 p.m.

Let's see. Spectacular clouds. Tornado warning. Sirens. Lots and lots of rain, but no tornado. There's something else.

Right! Sinclair Lewis Days is under way: and has been since Sunday, the 11th. The festivities wind up this Saturday, with the parade and an 18+ street dance. There's more about Sinclair Lewis Days at the Sauk Centre Chamber of Commerce website.

I'm particularly looking forward to the parade this year. I read in the paper, a few months ago, that they're going back to the old 'Ash Street' route: which will take it right by my house. I plan to be there, myself. If you can't make it, I'm also planning to show the whole thing through my webcam. I'd suggest coming to experience it in person, though: that webcam is vision-only. No sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!