Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Accident Near Wal-Mart, Sirens, and Snow in May

Wednesday, May 5, 2010. The sirens went off today, right on schedule, just like they do on the first Wednesday of each month. I did a little checking, and found that quite a bit of the Wikipedia article on "Civil Defense" sirens for America was - several decades out of date. That was a groovy trip down memory lane for me.

Here's information that's from this century: "Preparing for tornadoes and severe storms," Severe Weather Awareness, Minnesota Department of Public Safety, Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management. I've glanced over it, and intend to read it later. There's a pretty good description of what to listen for - and when to head for shelter instead of listening.

I haven't heard what happened at the corner of Ash and South 12th, near Wal-Mart, yesterday afternoon. A fair portion of the Sauk Centre Fire Department was out, along with police and at least one wrecker. I'd have gone in asked what happened, but something in the manner with which I was waved off told me that the emergency responders were as focused as they looked.


It took a while to untangle that accident at Ash and South 12th. May 4, 2010.

Which isn't to say that Minnesota is doing entirely well. I checked, and as of Tuesday, the Arrowhead region could still use more water.

I haven't heard what happened at the corner of Ash and South 12th, near Wal-Mart, yesterday afternoon. A fair portion of the Sauk Centre Fire Department was out, along with police and at least one wrecker. I'd have gone in asked what happened, but something in the manner with which I was waved off told me that the emergency responders were as focused as they looked.


Wunderground.com May 5, 2010

April showers bring May snowfall - in Minnesota. May 5, 2010.

Toward the end of the day, today, rain falling on my window was freezing. I checked, and: sure enough. We're likely to have snow Friday.

I'll say this for Minnesota: Our weather is not boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!