Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A Beach Ball, Signs, and a Sign of Summer

Wednesday, June 9, 2010. Driving along south Ash Street yesterday, I saw a beach ball rolling with the breeze. Where there are balls, there may be kids, so I slowed down and took a look around. No kids in sight, also no other vehicles, so I drew alongside the ball and picked it up.


One brightly-colored ball. June 8, 2010.

I still couldn't see any kids, but I figured that someone might come looking for it. I pulled into a driveway, tucked the ball under a bush where it probably wouldn't be picked up by the breeze again - but where anyone within maybe a half-block could see it. An hour or so later, it was gone. I trust whoever owned the ball recovered it.

There was a brisker wind today. Which explains why Energy Connection had their sidewalk sign inside.


Shake of the week: German Chocolate Cake?! This is not your grandmother's health food store. June 9, 2010.

I've been in 'health food stores' for one reason or another for several decades now. About 40 years ago, the emphasis in the ones I was familiar with were foods with exotic names, like "tiger's milk." And, of course, tofu. Lots and lots of tofu. The philosophy seemed to be 'the weirder, the better.

Maybe places like that are still around.

Energy Connection, though? Their shake of the week is - German Chocolate Cake. This isn't the sixties any more. Can't say that I'm sorry about that. That new eatery apparently has Herbalife products. Well, at least some of the brand names still sound mildly exotic.


This is what was left of Energy Connection's sidewalk display, after the wind hit it. June 9, 2010.

I've walked from the Sinclair Lewis Park parking lot - the one near the band shell - to the fountain many times, and never noticed a small plaque on the ground, near one of the trees.


"In memory of Sandra Barrett, City Deputy Clerk, 1999." June 9, 2010.

Now, that's just plain nice.

Up at the fountain, the 'umbrella statue' is in place, and the water's running. I think this can be taken as a sign that summer is really here.


The fountain's running in Sinclair Lewis Park. The fountain's working fine: it's the wind that's whipping the water toward downtown. June 9, 2010.

There's more, but It'll wait until Sunday. It's late, and I've got a few busy days ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!