Sunday, June 13, 2010

Summer, a German Family Picnic With Bier Garden, And Today's Health Food

Sunday, June 13, 2010. I ended the last entry with "There's more, but It'll wait until Sunday..." Remember, I didn't say there was much more. I spent most of Friday and Sunday, and all of Saturday, enjoying a visit with our second-oldest daughter and her husband. My wife and I, all three daughters and our son had a good time. That's the good news. The sort-of-bad news is that I don't have much to say about what's happened in Sauk Centre since Wednesday.

However, not having much to say has never kept me from discussing what little I have, so here goes.


"Bring the whole family!" "German Bier (Beer) Garden" - folks who never lived elsewhere may not realize how wonderful it is here. June 6, 2010.

Sauk Centre's German (and Irish) heritage may be part of the explanation for part of that poster. I don't mean "German Picnic" for the title: it's the "Bring the whole family!" and, a few lines down, "German Bier (Beer) Garden." That poster was in Our Lady of the Angels church. Which reminds me: I love this place!

It's not the beer: it's the relaxed acceptance of the beer. Not all communities are quite so willing to let folks enjoy - in moderation - something our ancestors had since before history was written about us. Okay. I'll get off my soapbox now.

The rumors are true: It's summer.


Summer is definitely here. The public dock's in place, near the campground by Sinclair Lewis Park. June 9, 2010.

Back on the soapbox, sort of. I wrote a little about Energy Connection on Wednesday. You remember: the place where the Shake of the week was German Chocolate Cake.


Shake of the week: German Chocolate Cake?! This is not your grandmother's health food store. June 9, 2010.

Right there, you known this isn't one of those colorful health food stores, with stuff you can't pronounce - or recognize. I picked up a sort of brochure there this week: something they get with their Herbalife stuff. There's a little of what I see as 'expert' advice from folks who don't realize that not everybody is that imaginary 'average man/woman/child/human.' Most of it's common-sense advice, though, like 'stop smoking' and 'keep physically active.'

Let's see: The flags are still up downtown; Things like how the Sauk Centre Track Squads did in Moorhead, you can read in the Sauk Centre Herald. That's all I've got for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!