Sunday, September 20, 2009

Hummingbirds, House Fire, and a Glass-Bellied Frog

Sunday, September 20, 2009. I'd been wondering why I wasn't seeing hummingbirds at the feeder. Then I found out: hummingbirds arrive here around May, and leave in September. On the up side, chickadees, sparrows and Minnesotans stay here all winter.

I can tell, by the way the sun hits my eyes at the computer after suppertime, that we're getting close to the Autumn Equinox. I see it'll come Tuesday of this week.

The grass, and most trees, are still green, but a few have gotten a head start on the season.


Sure, winter's coming: but I like the colors. September 19, 2009.

I see in the paper that a fire broke out at 4 in the morning last Monday. It was three doors south of where this family lived when we first came to Sauk Centre. The house itself is kaput, and from the looks of it it came close to taking the ones next door with it. The folks on the corner will need new windows on the south side, plus roof repairs, minimum.


Bad news, somebody lost their house: Good news, nobody got hurt. September 19, 2009.


That was a quite thorough fire. September 19, 2009.


The - potting shed, I think, off behind the corn - and garden weren't scorched, at least. September 19, 2009.

Again, good news: nobody got hurt. Still, that's a big - maybe huge - loss.

On a happier note, I spotted this - thing - over the weekend.


The incredible glass-bellied frog of south Sauk Centre. September 19, 2009.

And, since nobody in the family was getting married, and we weren't up in the Red River Valley of the North visiting my father and the newlyweds (yes we did leave them alone quite a bit), I had the pleasure of grilling - twice - this weekend. Perfect weather for it, too. Warm, but not too - and enough breeze to discourage the mosquitoes.

That's one thing I like about Minnesota winters: no mosquitoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!