Wednesday, September 2, 2009

News, Photos and Back Yards

Wednesday, September 2, 2009. One reason I've heard for reading the news is that it makes you feel better. Between fires, floods, earthquakes and the occasional or wild- or car fire started by a flaming squirrel: no matter what's happening to you, odds are there's someone who's worse off.

I'm not sure I believe that, but it makes a good story.

I see in this week's Sauk Centre Herald that two men have been charged in the July 20 burglary at the GreyStone Golf Club. Melrose's Meadowlark Golf Course got burglarized around the same time. And, apparently, vandalized. As if stealing wasn't enough. The Saint Cloud Times ran a short article on the arrests, too. Can't say I'm sorry they were caught: I just hope the damage done at GrayStone gets paid for, and the stolen goods replaced.

There's also an article, available online, about how the family of Bryan Silbernagel is coping with his suicide, back on July 11 (or 12, according to a Fergus Falls paper). I've had some personal experience with suicide, and appreciate what an unpleasant, awkward topic it is. Hats off to the Herald for printing that.

Time for something that's not quite so depressing.

Again in the Sauk Herald, I see that Emily Lahr was a runner up in this year's Princess Kay of the Milky Way contest.

My second-oldest daughter's getting married this Saturday, which is a pretty big deal for this family. And definitely not depressing.

School's starting next week, which is probably why I've been seeing more kids going by lately. And hearing more squealing tires.

Coborn's had a spot of color out front this week: pots of red and yellow (mostly) flowers.


Local color. September 1, 2009.

I spent some time, yesterday and today, driving around town: mostly on errands. I'm still impressed by the many ways people have of using their yards.


One big garden of a yard on the north side. September 1, 2009.


A quietly understated collection on south Ash. September 1, 2009.


This household moved their 'bathtub Madonna' - this year, I think. It's probably not, strictly speaking, a bathtub Madonna: but the effect is about the same. September 1, 2009.


Now that's the way to be a birdwatcher: buy one, set it out by the grill, and watch at your leisure. September 2, 2009.

Finally, the Sauk Centre Journal has a Blog, named, unimaginably enough, the Sauk Centre Journal Blog. Mostly, it'll just be a repeat of what's written here: but I'll put commentary and extra photos there from time to time.
And now I've got it copied over here.

I plan to be back tomorrow, with some more photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!